Healthy eating day in and day out is not easy. In fact, depending on your lifestyle, it can be downright hard! Junk food is tempting, cheap and easy to find on every counter and corner. Conversely, vegetables and whole grains need to be washed, chopped and cooked. There’s shopping and cleaning…you know the drill.
But with all that said, our lives depend on us taking the time and making the effort to eat real food more often. Lucky for us, we have quite a few options when it comes to having healthy meals delivered in San Diego! Depending on your lifestyle and what you’re looking for in the moment, here are our top picks to make healthy eating a little easier.
One-Off Order: I need healthy meals delivered in San Diego … NOW!
If it’s Wednesday afternoon and you need healthy lunch like, right now, then using an App like Postmates is your best for menu delivery services. Once you download the app, you can search for any of your favorite restaurants in San Diego. We are always inspired by what Cafe Gratitude is serving up in their vegan bowls!
- Meal price: $17 (Humble Bowl)
- Delivery fee: $3.99 + $2.4 Taxes and Fees
- Total for one portion: $23.39
- Order time frame: In under an hour
- Pros: No planning ahead required, just order and you’re on!
- Cons: It’s on the pricier side, but that is a price we’re used to paying for convenience (and good health).
Execute Someone Else’s Plan: Deliver an ingredient box to me next week.
Meal kits are all the rage now and for good reason. They get real ingredients into your house and require zero recipe searching, list making or time spent looking for parking at the market. You’ll eat fresh food and experience the joy of having cooked your own meal. We are also often inspired by the delicious vegan creations from Purple Carrot!
- Meal price: $72 per week for 3 meals for 1-2 people.
- Delivery fee: Free
- Total for one portion: $12.00
- Order time frame: Pick your meals and it will come once a week after you get going.
- Pros: Time saver, yummy, fresh food that you cooked (which is a con to many!)
- Cons: It might be over a week before you get your first order depending on when you order, still have to cook for about 30-40 min (which is a pro to many!)
Execute Your Own Plan: Deliver these specific ingredients to me soon
One tool we have really come to love and use weekly for delivery of ingredients to our kitchen is Instacart! You can shop and order exactly what you need from 13 different grocery stores in San Diego, including Whole Foods, Jimbos, Gelsons, and Jensens Foods. You just shop for your ingredients in the app, add them to your cart, select a delivery date and time and your goods will be on their way to you!
- Meal price: TBD on what you’re cooking
- Delivery fee: $7.99 for one hour, $5.99 for two hour delivery. Or you can pay $149 for the year and have unlimited 2 hour delivery for free for orders over $35. Plus there is an optional 10% service fee (not a tip) and a variable tip you can choose to pay. There can also be a slight mark-up in the actual pricing of ingredients depending on where you shop.
- Total for one portion: TBD on what your cooking + how much you ordered.
- Order time frame: Within one to two hours.
- Pros: You do not need to go to the store and you’ll get exactly what you want in a matter of hours.
- Cons: It can be an expensive way to get what you already know you need.
Heat. Eat. And Enjoy: Healthy meal prep delivery for the entire week.
We can’t pretend that we’re not biased here. We know there are dozens of company’s to choose from for healthy meal prep delivery in San Diego. But of course, we would not have opened our kitchen if we didn’t feel like we could bring something new to the table. At the Clean & Colorful Kitchen we cook tasty, healthy and convenient meals that are veggie-centric and designed to help you feel your best from the inside out.
- Meal price: $11.00-$13.00 depending on the protein source.
- Delivery fee: Free pick up in our kitchen in Mission Hills or $10 for delivery Sunday or Monday.
- Total for one portion:$11.00-$13.00
- Order time frame: Order by Friday at 1pm for pick-up/delivery Sunday at 7pm.
- Pros: We do all the planning, shopping, chopping, cooking and cleaning. We change our menu each week so you don’t have to think and you’ll never get bored. Our food is interesting, delicious and will help you glow from the inside out … day in and day out.
- Cons: Again, we can’t even hide the fact that we love what we do. We are honored to serve so many San Diegan’s food we know is making a difference in their life not just today, but for years to come.
Best Healthy Meal Prep Delivery Services in San Diego Summary
Depending on your lifestyle, how much planning you have time for, how much cooking you want to do and how much money you want to spend, you can see there are still plenty of options to help make healthy eating easier … every single day. Let’s toss the excuses to the side and make fresh food consumption a priority. Our lives depend on it.