Have a question? Awesome! We have an answer!
You’re not the first one to wonder that…
Whether you’re considering joining the Clean & Colorful Kitchen community or are a VIP client, chances are, you’re going to have a question at some point along the road. Here you’ll find a collection of questions from new, potential and current clients just like you. Have a question that’s not answered? Send us a note and we’ll get back to you ASAP! We’re a healthy meal prep delivery service in San Diego that loves taking care of our customers!
No video answer?
Not to worry, we have plenty more here organized by catagory
Q: If I don’t want to order on-line there anyway to order in person?
A: You bet! As of August 2018, we’re at the Farmers’ Market in Pacific Beach (901 Garnet Ave, San Diego, CA 92109). We bring a selection of meals, and you can buy as many as you’d like for the week. But it’s first come, first serve and when they are gone, they are gone for the week so come early!
Q: How do I place an order? (screen cast tutorial)
A: Watch this quick tutorial, or follow the instructions below:
- Head to our website and click on the START ORDER tab from the top menu on any page of our website.
- Select NEW ORDER next to the subscription of your choice.
- Enter your name, mobile number, email and any dietary preferences. Click CREATE ACCOUNT
- Your mobile phone will be sent a log-in token (password). Enter the code and you’ll be taken to the Menu.
- Select your entrees (minimum 3) and which size (regular, plus, family).
- Scroll to the bottom and review all the breakfast and side options as well as other menu upgrades. Our menu changes weekly, so always scroll all the way down!
- After you’ve made all your menu selections, click the green boton at the bottom of the screen, COMPLETE ORDER.
- Select your delivery option. You can always pick up in our kitchen for free and we’d love to meet you! Click NEXT.
- Review your order by scrolling down. Enter any discount codes. Enter your payment information and click PLACE ORDER.
- Your card will be charged the day you first place your order and every Friday at 1pm thereafter unless you skip, pause or cancel your subscription.
Q: Do I have to pick the food for my weekly order?
A: Nope! The goal with the Clean & Colorful Kitchen was to create a set it and forget it system so we take care of the menu planning on the back end to make sure you never get bored. However, if you want to customize your weekly order based on what we’re cooking, you can do so by watching the placing your first order tutorial or following these step:
- Once you’re subscribed, managing your account is super easy! You’ll be sent a text message each Wednesday with a reminder that our menu is published and you have until Friday at 1pm to confirm your order.
- Click on the link in the text message (or email if you’ve changed your preferences in your account) and it will automatically log you into your account.
- Note the system will auto-populate a suggested oder based on your dietary preferences and prior week’s order. You can easily override any suggestions and add any menu upgrades like smoothies, soups, salads, snacks and sweets.
- Click confirm order and you’re all set! Note, if we don’t hear from you, you will get one more reminder on Friday at 10am. If we still don’t hear from you, the system suggested order will be processed Friday at 1pm and it will be ready for you Sunday night at 7pm.
Q: Can I skip a week or two or three? (screen cast tutorial)
A: Of course! Our primary goal is to help you eat more veggies, but only when you want them. It breaks our hearts to see our veggie ninja meals go to waste by accidentally preparing orders. That’s why we’ve made it super simple to skip your order anytime you need to. Simply watch this quick tutorial, or follow the steps below:
- When you get the weekly text message on Wednesday (or Friday) simply click on the link and click on the green SKIP link at the top of the page.
- That’s it!
We weren’t kidding when we said it was easy! You’d be surprised how many of our clients only order from our kitchen every few weeks, but stay subscribed because they appreciate the ease, flexibility and inspiration from our menu.
Q: Can I pause my account for a certain length of time? (screen cast tutorial)
A: You bet! If you know you’re going to be out of town for more than one week and don’t want to see the weekly text reminders, it’s easy to pause your account. Just watch this tutorial, or follow the instructions below:
- Log into your account and click the three bars in the upper right hand side of the screen, then click YOUR NAME ACCOUNT. This will open your main account page where you can see any active subscriptions you have, order details and profile details.
- Click on PLAN SETTINGS next to the subscription you want to pause.
- You’ll see an option to enter a date to pause your account until. Be sure to select the Monday BEFORE you want your order so that it can process on Friday and we can prepare it over the weekend. If you enter the actual date you want the order, you won’t receive it until the following week.
Q: Do the meals vary each week?
A: Yes! We cook five different entrees each week, three vegan, two traditional and one from each color group (red, orange, yellow, green, indigo). We also prepare three different breakfasts as well; one hot, one cold and a mighty muffin. Our menu can rotate on a 5-6-week basis, however we do bring more popular entrées back more frequently. This is why it’s so important to tell us about the entrees you love so they can make it back on the menu quicker.
Q: Can I add or remove menu upgrades or change my package quantity or portion once I’ve set up a subscription?
A: You sure can! Each week you’ll have the option to select exactly what you want in your order and we’ll custom cook it for you. You can order three meals one week and 30 the next, it’s totally up to you and what fits your lifestyle.
Q: How do I place large orders meals for my corporate office or special event?
A: Easy peasy. When you click START ORDER, scroll down and select Large Delivery Plan. Orders over 15 entrees to one location earn a larger discount. You’ll follow the same process as our residential customers, just the pricing will be different.
Q: Can I order just smoothies without a meal package?
A: You sure can! When your on our subscription options page, you’ll see towards the bottom a smoothie subscription. The minimum is just 5 per week and you can even select your flavors. This is also a good option to add to your existing meal subscription if you’d like to pick your flavors each week.
Q: Can the Clean & Colorful Kitchen help me lose weight? (Video Answer – coming soon)
A: The primary goal of the Clean & Colorful Kitchen is to make healthy eating easier forever! We want to fill the gap for folks who lack the skill, the will or the time to cook veggie heavy foods every week. We create clean and delicious food from scratch that is designed to help you look better, feel better, increase energy and reduce disease. But of course, the more of it you eat in lieu of junky food, the more likely you are to lose weight! Because nutrition needs and weight loss goals vary for everybody, we’d like to help you create the package that is the best fit for you. Here are some things to consider:
- Are you looking for a quick detox kit that will get your results this week or a longterm solution to help you build sustainable healthy habits?
- How many calories do you need to consume to lose weight?
- How much cooking do you want to do vs. how much food would you like to receive from the kitchen?
- How long will it take you to safely lose the weight? We suggest a healthy rate of weight loss of 1-2 pounds per week (or 1% of your current body weight).
- Would you like to receive any nutrition or accountability coaching along with your weekly order?
Once you’ve considered these points, reach out to Teresa at Teresa@cleanandcolorfulkitchen.com or (858) 264-2872 for help designing a custom program that is best for you. We do offer discounts on 6, 12, and 18 week packages that are paid for in advance to help encourage you to stick to, and reach your goals!
Q: How do I order just a detox?
A: If you’d like to order a detox kit at anytime, it’s simple! Watch this quick tutorial or follow these steps:
- Head to our website and click on the START ORDER tab from the top menu on any page of our website.
- Select NEW ORDER next to either the hybrid or liquid Detox Kit Subscription options.
- Enter your name, mobile number, email and any dietary preferences. Click CREATE ACCOUNT
- Your mobile phone will be sent a log-in token (password). Enter the code and you’ll be taken to the Menu
- Follow the recommendations on the page for the quantity of meals, soups, salads and smoothies you will need based on the number of days you’re purchasing.
- After you’ve made your detox selections, click the green botton at the bottom of the screen, COMPLETE ORDER.
- FoSelect your delivery option. You can always pick up in our kitchen for free and we’d love to meet you! Click NEXT
- Review your order by scrolling down then enter your payment information and click PLACE ORDER.
- Your card will be charged the day you first place your order and your order will be ready Sunday at 7pm.
Note: You will receive a text message reminder the following Wednesday to place a new order, but know that the Detox Kit subscription works differently than the standard meals subscription. We WILL NOT automatically prepare a new order for you unless you confirm your next order before Friday at 1pm.
Q: How much is delivery?
A: You’re always welcome to pick up your order in the kitchen and meet the crew in person for free. We charge $10 to deliver to the front door of your home or main entrance of your complex.
Q: What days do you deliver?
A: We shop, chop and cook everything over the weekend and meals are ready for pick up or delivery starting Sunday night at 7pm and are delivered before 9:30. Your driver will contact you when he/she is about 20 minutes out. We also deliver on Monday afternoon from 12-4. , You’ll see all your options after you enter your address when placing your order. Remember, you are also free to pick up your order at our kitchen, from 7-8 pm on Sunday or 12-5 Monday or any of our pick up locations (pick up times vary, be sure to confirm with location).
Q: Can you deliver if I’m not at home?
A: This is not ideal, as we deliver fresh food that does require refrigeration. We’d prefer to deliver the food hand to hand to your home, neighbor or office where it can be immediately put in the refrigerator. If this is not possible, we request that you put a cooler with ice out front of your door for your driver to drop the meals into so they can stay cool until you return home. If this is not an option, we can leave your order in a cooler bag with ice packs and it will be good for up to 2 hours. We will process a $5 charge if the cooler materials are not returned the following week and you’re welcome to use it as a grocery tote – the bag rocks!
Q: What is your delivery area?
A: Right now, we are serving nearly all of San Diego county. We have a route that goes up the 5 North as far as Carlsbad, east over to San Marcos and South through Rancho Bernardo and back down to metro San Diego. If you’re outside of that range, please reach out and send us an email or call/text us at (858) 264-2872 to see if we can service your area. Also know that if our current route does not fit your residence, you’re always welcome to coordinate a time to pick up your order at our kitchen or we can deliver to your office on Monday afternoon.
Q: Do you ship orders? (Video answer)
A: Ordering meals for the Clean & Colorful Kitchen comes with a three-part value proposition:
- Good for your body: We make healthy eating easier by creating nutritious food that you are excited to eat and will help your body function at its best.
- Good for your community: Our Kitchen is a small business that is run locally. We create jobs in your community and support your local farmers.
- Good for your environment: We run a zero-waste kitchen and all of our meals are delivered hand to hand in a simple, recyclable shopping bag.
For these reasons, it would never make sense for us to ship our food. It would fail to support your community and create excess waste in the form of packaging. If you’re interested in opening (or would like someone else to open) a Clean & Colorful Kitchen to service your community, send us an email or call/text us at (858) 264-2872 and let her know! We do have grand world domination plans with #theveggiemovement and we’ll be looking to expand on a local level in 2019.
Q: Do you offer a discount for multiple deliveries to one household?
A: Order over 15 entrees to a single location earn a larger discount! Be sure to select the Large Delivery plan when setting up your subscription and follow the same Getting Started details as our standard weekly subscription. Only the pricing is different. Please send us an email or call/text us at (858) 264-2872 with additional questions and for help getting your large delivery plan set up properly.
Q: How long do the meals last?
A: Because we run a super-fresh, on-demand kitchen and we chop and cook everything on Sunday, so your meals are good in a refrigerator until the following Saturday. Many of our meals will freeze well, and if that’s the case, we’ll write a “freeze by” date on it. If you’re fearful you may not get through all your food that week, or if you’re traveling, feel free to pop those babies in the freezer and they’ll be safe there for 2-6 months!
Q: How do I cook my meals?
A: We already did all of the cooking for you and all our meals would in fact be safe to eat cold. However, we know that is not always the most delicious way to go, so we do provide basic heating instructions for each entrée on the label.
For the most part, it looks like this:
- Remove the lid and any sauce or side cup container.
- Shake the sauce and pour it over the entrée or add any other side element that was included (i.e. cheese). Reserve anything you don’t want heated with the entrée (i.e. sour cream, olives).
- If you’re using a microwave: Place the entire tray in the microwave and heat for the designated time on the label, stirring halfway through. Be sure to aim on the lower side of the range to avoid over cooking. Make sure the lid is removed, but you can use it to loosely cover the tray to avoid spattering.
- If you prefer a traditional method, preheat your oven or toaster oven to 350. Place the entrée on an oven safe dish, cover with foil (to avoid drying out) and bake for 15-20 minutes. Remember, everything is already safely cooked thoroughly, you’re just raising it to a temper you prefer to consume.
Q: Can I freeze my meals?
Some of our meals full of leafy greens, intended to be eaten as fresh salads and will not defrost well. For those, we don’t encourage you to freeze them and to eat them early in the week. These will be noted with “Eat first, it won’t freeze well” on the label. However, many of our meals will freeze and reheat very well. If that’s the case, we’ll write a “freeze by” date on it. Once your Clean & Colorful meals are in the freezer, they are good for 2-6 months.
Q: How do you heat a meal once it’s been frozen?
In our experience, we’ve found that it’s better to move the entree out of the freezer and into the refrigerator 1-2 days to defrost before you want to eat it. Then follow the normal heating instructions. For whatever reason, the quality is a little compromised when they are heated from a frozen state.
Q: Do you have different sized meals?
A: Yup! We know that different bodies have different energy needs, so we created two portions for individuals and also offer a family portion for larger groups. The macronutrient details are below.
Q: What are the nutrition and macronutrient details of your entrees?
While the nutrition of each meal will vary, we do follow these general guidelines as we create our recipes:
- Regular Portion is about 400 calories, about 15-30 g protein, about 8-14g fiber, less than 20g fat and sugar.
- Plus Portion is about 600 calories, about 22-45 g protein, about 12-21g fiber, less than 33g fat and sugar.
- Family Portion is 4 regular portions in one container.
To find the specific nutrition facts or ingredients in any one of our meals, click on the “more info” tab on the entree when selecting your weekly meals.
Q: Why don’t you list total carbs on the label?
A: Because we cook so veggie heavy our meals contain complex and high quality carbs. We use unprocessed ingredients, whole grains, legumes, and tons of fibrous veggies. Our worst nightmare would be for someone with a fear of “carbs” from a past dieting experience to label our food as unhealthy. Processed and added sugars are the real problem with carbs today and that is why we will list total sugar an the label. We use zero refined white sugar and only add sparse amounts of maple syrup, honey or molasses in some of our sauces ensuring the carbs you receive in our meals are wholesome. Trust that all of the carbohydrates featured in our meals are whole, real and health boosting.
Q: Are your meals Low Carbohydrate?
A: Our meals are designed to be well balanced, suited to promote optimal health and meet the nutrition needs of a large population. They are not specifically designed to be “low carb.” Yet they are completely free of refined carbohydrates, added sugars, contain healthy fat and are high in protein and fiber which supports a stable blood sugar throughout the day.
Q: Are your meals Paleo?
While some entrees may be considered Paleo, our goal is to put an emphasis on whole, plant-based nutrition and being environmentally responsible. For that reason, our meals do contain a fair amount of whole grains and legumes, which are not considered Paleo. In addition, we do use dairy sparingly, which is also not Paleo approved.
Q: Are your meals Vegan?
We do cook veggie heavy in our kitchen and believe wholeheartedly that increasing vegetable and other plant based food consumption is the best way to improve human health. While some entrees are in fact already vegan, we do also use animal protein and dairy sparingly and responsibly in our kitchen. We will also offer at least three vegan entrees each week (you may need to select the dairy free option occasionally) and our soups, salads, smoothies, overnight oats and clean cookies are also all vegan.
Q: Are your meals Gluten Free?
A: We cook naturally gluten free in our kitchen and all of our meals are free from gluten containing grains and we actively control cross contamination. In fact, many of our chefs have gluten sensitivity or intolerance, so this is most certainly on our radar. However, the kitchen we cook out of is not a certified gluten-free facility and we do not use gluten free oats. Our meals are likely safe to consume if you are gluten sensitive or simply prefer to avoid it, but our meals are not “certified gluten-free.”
Q: Are your meals Dairy Free?
Most of them are, but we do use cheese or Greek yogurt occasionally, which is generally in a soufflé cup on the side of the meal. We will offer a diary free option for the meals where the cup can simply be left out. But know that the nutrition printed on the label will no longer be accurate for that meal since it contains the dairy product.
Q: Are your meals Soy Free?
Most of them are. We run a GMO free kitchen so soybean oil is off the radar! However, seeing as soy is a good source of plant based protein, we have a very limited amount of recipes that feature edamame or tofu as ingredients. If you have an allergy or intolerance to soy, be sure to include that in your dietary preferences and the system will not recommend products for you that contain soy.
Q: What does it mean to run a No Waste Kitchen?
A: Our three-pronged value proposition includes being respectful of our environment and reducing as much waste as possible. Rest assure, no veggies are left to deteriorate or go to waste in our kitchen and viable nutrition is not thrown in the trash (unless of course, it was considered unsafe to consume). This is why we feature “seasonal” soups and salads and any leftover veggies from the weekly meal production converted to soups or added to salads. Portions of our produce that is not used in a meal, soups or salads is stored in a “rabbit bag” and donated to one of our kitchen partners furry farm friends.
Q: I love what you’re doing, how can I get involved?
We do think what we’re doing in the Clean & Colorful Kitchen and #theveggiemovement is pretty cool and we’d love to have you involved. Here are the ways you can support the movement:
- Share the love and spread the word! Every positive word helps. Growing a company and starting a movement from scratch requires a lot of love and passion and we need all the help we can get spreading the word. Tag @cleanandcolorfulkitchen on Instagram or Facebook and share our newsletters, blog posts and web page with anybody you think can benefit from a little #sexyveggie action in their life.
- Become a Client! Experience first hand how awesome our #veggieninja food makes you feel! We treat all of our clients with VIP service and your health is our first priority. Know that every dollar you invest in the Clean & Colorful Kitchen is not just good for you, but also your community and the environment.
- Become an Ambassador! Love our mission and have influence over a health minded audience? Check out our Ambassador program to receive subscription discounts and tons of credits for client referrals.
- Become a Volunteer! We have a community kitchen program where you can trade your time for meals. Gain valuable insight into how our kitchen operates and how much care goes into our production line (and how much fun we have while we do it!)
- Become a CCK Crew Member! If you love our mission, have tried our food and volunteered in our kitchen and are interested in joining our team as an official CCK Crew Member, contact Teresa at Teresa@cleanandcolorfulkitchen.com and let her know what you want to do. As we grow, positions will open and we know whole heartedly our company can only be as good as the people we invite onto our team. We are looking for the best to launch the Clean & Colorful Kitchen into high gear and expand beyond our current kitchen.
Q: Do you sponsor community events?
A: Right now, this is our favorite form of marketing. If you have an event and you’d like some healthy food on site in exchange for an opportunity for us to talk with your guests about our mission and service, let’s chat! Contact Teresa at Teresa@cleanandcolorfulkitchen.com and we can create a win-win collaboration.