Pancakes – just as bad as having cake for breakfast? That is the question.
Generally speaking, it’s probably a good idea to avoid anything with “cake” in the title when choosing your breakfast entree. But then again, pancakes are just plain delicious.
What to do?? Well, why not make healthy pancakes??
Problem solved! I’m going to show you how to make pancakes using whole ingredients. These cakes are packed full of nutrition and definitely beat out their sugar bomb counterparts.
Healthy Pancake Recipe
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Coconut Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2T Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- 2 cups Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 1 Egg
- 1 T Coconut Oil, melted
- 2 T Ground Flax Seeds
- 1/2 cup Blueberries
- 1 cup Strawberries
- 1 cup Orange Juice
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1T Honey
- Sift together the flour, coconut flour, baking powder, coconut flakes and salt in a large bowl.
- Add egg, coconut oil and almond milk. Stir until well combined. Fold in flax seeds.
- Heat a skillet and coat with non-stick cooking spray. Use 1/4 measuring cup and pour batter in pan and cook until bubbles come through – about 1-2 minutes. Flip and cook the other side for another minute or two.
- For berry puree, add fruit, orange juice, honey and cinnamon to a small sauce pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the contents into your blender and blend on low for a 30 seconds. Increase speed and blend for an additional minute until super smooth.
- Plate 2-3 pancakes and top with berry puree and serve!
This recipe yields about 10 pancakes and plenty of puree to cover them.
Nutrition info for 4 servings: 300 calories, 9g fiber and 9g of protein.
If you’re looking for a comparison, the average stack of pancakes will cost you about 528 calories, 21 grams of fat, 6 grams of protein and only 1 gram of fiber.
By making a few swaps, we were able to take the best of both worlds – healthy and delicious – and merge them into one. This is definitely a recipe you can be proud of!
What’s your favorite healthy pancake recipe? Share it below!