Pumpkin Spiced Coffee Cake Recipe
We are ready to celebrate Pumpkin Spice season with this Pumpkin Spiced Coffee Cake Recipe! Our kitchen has been a long time lover of pumpkin … particularly their seeds. Pepitas as a regular staple in our seasonal side salads, our clean cookies and are often featured as flavor and texture accents to many of our core entrees.
But in the Fall — we pump up the pumpkin spice volume and this year is no exception! We recently created this Chocolate Pumpkin Spiced Coffee Cake Recipe as a collaborative effort between crew inspiration, nutritional design and expert chef execution (See who’s get’s all the credit on on instagram page)!
This recipe is ridiculous. It’s so delicious, you’d never know it was healthy. And to top it off, it’s high protein, vegan and also gluten free. How you wonder? You’re in luck — today we are sharing the recipe. Whether you make it yourself or you order it from our kitchen, do no miss this Pumpkin Spiced Coffee Cake Recipe!
These ingredients are mostly easy to find (we’ve linked to anything tricky so you can order it on Amazon), inexpensive and this recipe is super easy to follow. It takes a little time and love, but when the cake is finished, it’s beautiful, plant forward and sure to impress your friends, family and coworkers!
Pumpkin Spiced Coffee Cake Recipe
Pumpkin Spiced Cake Ingredients
- 2 Flax Eggs (1 Tbsp Ground Flax + 1 Tbsp Water per “egg”)
- 10 oz Pumpkin Puree
- 6 oz Almond Milk
- 1 cup Raw Oats
- 2 scoops Chocolate Vegan Protein Powder (this is the one we use)
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp Pumpkin Spice Blend
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup Raw Cacao Nibs
Coffee Cake Crumble Topping
- 2 Tbsp Raw Oats
- 1 cup Oat Flour (just put raw oats in a blender until it looks like flour)
- 1 cup Walnuts (small pieces, not whole)
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil (Melted)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
Serves 10: Nutrition per serving: 307 calories, 11g protein, 17g fat, 7g fiber, 7g sugar
How to Make the Pumpkin Spiced Coffee Cake Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350 and prepare 9×13 cake pan with spray with oil.
- In a medium bowl, add flax and water and use a hand blender to combine. Blend in the pumpkin puree and almond milk until well combined.
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, protein powder, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Fold wet mixture into dry bowl then stir in cacao nibs.
- Pour into prepared cake pan.
- Make the crumble topping by adding the flour, sugar, nuts, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and melted coconut oil. Mix together until crumbly and sprinkle on top of sheet pan batter.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until cake holds its form, but can still be gooey in the middle.
Nutrition Comparison: CCK Pumpkin Spiced Coffee Cake Recipe vs Starbucks Cinnamon Coffee Cake
To boost the nutrition of this dish and not cut any flavor, we made these important Clean & Colorful upgrades to a traditional coffee cake.
- We use raw oats instead of all-purpose flour providing fewer calories and less sugar along with more protein and double the fiber. This also makes this a naturally gluten free dish!
- We use chocolate vegan protein powder and raw cacao nubs instead of chocolate chips providing the same great flavor with more protein, a fraction of the sugar and fat.
- We use the pumpkin puree instead of traditional oil, providing the pumpkin flavor and slashing the fat and boosting the fiber.
- We ditched the eggs this time around and used flax eggs to work as the binder adding healthy fat, more fiber and keeping this dish vegan!
Not only these enhancements make the dish taste amazing, the nutrition stats are unbelievable. Check this out…
Nutrition Facts (per serving) Summary
- 303 vs. 330 = 7% fewer calories
- 11g vs. 15 = 26% less fat
- 7g vs. 21 = 67% less sugar (zero white sugar)
- 7g vs. 1 = 7x more fiber
- 11g vs 4g = 2.5x more protein
- 100% Plant Protein
Now I feel like I need to call the president of Starbucks menu development and pitch them our Clean Coffee Cake (lol)!! Regardless of whether or not Starbucks picks us up — you can’t miss this cake! But on your apron and bake it up yourself or keep an eye on our menu and order it up!
Reminder: If you want us to cook for you, check out this week’s menu and place your order before Friday at 1pm!